Saturday, January 18, 2020

Unconditional Surrender


Over Christmas, I was in Florida spending a wonderful holiday with my ex. It was mostly a sit around and relax vacation, but one of the local sites we did see was the Unconditional Surrender Statue in Sarasota.


The statue is based off of the famed photograph by Alfred Eisenstaedt known as V-J Day in Times Square (V-Day and The Kiss). This photograph has always been a favorite of mine. Now, I am familiar with the recent controversy of this image in light of the #MeToo movement, but it doesn't change what it means to me and the interpretation I have of this photograph -- isn't that what art is, a reflective interpretation?


A steady stream of people came by to take their photo in front of the statue. Even on the gloomy overcast Florida Winter Day, many came to recreate the iconic pose and strangers were more than happy to help each other capture the memory on camera.

I was just happy to skate around the massive statue and show off my impressive beginner skater skills! Of course, Perry and I had to get our picture next to the statue, but being that we are former lovers (as opposed to current) we opted for a more friendly pose!




Outfit:
Sun top (under tie top): Handmade by me from vintage 40s pattern
Tie top: Handmade by me from vintage 40s pattern
Skirt: Handmade by me from vintage 40s inspired self drafted pattern
Sunglasses: Hottie World


No comments:

Post a Comment