Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Current Obsession: Gone with the Wind and the Twelve Oaks Barbeque Dress

Yes... I am a little late to the game, but I finally watched Gone with the Wind for the first time ever in my life! I know! I know! I should have my vintage card revoked for taking so long... but wouldn't I get it back for actually watching it?

This is usually how you find me at parties... surrounded by all the menfolk! Hahaha!

I could write a whole blog post on the movie film of epic cinematic greatness, but I am sure I would just be rehashing everything you already know about this movie! I am ashamed I waited so long to watch it. If you haven't seen it yet and you are a lover of classic cinema, go watch it now! Do not be afraid of the 4 hour length. Every moment is worth it and those who have gasped that you haven't seen it yet are absolutely right! They are not lying to you!

Sit through a 4 hour movie? It better be worth it!

Right now I am obsessed with the film and I am drowning myself in the movie's history and information. Naturally, I am drawn to Scarlett O'Hara's costumes and see how they did indeed inspire early fashions of the 1940s. I am actually surprised that the red gown she wears when attending Ashley's birthday party is not my favourite -- although it is a close second. My favourite gown and the one that is making me weak in the knees and inspiring me to create a version of my own is the famous green sprigs party gown also known as the Twelve Oaks Barbeque Dress.

Oh what? This 'ol thing?

I love the youthful, innocent, and feminine seduction that bodice gives. Though in the movie she tried to wear it to show off her bosom, I think the real charmer of the outfit goes to the bare shoulders. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE in your face sexy (the red dress), but this one the sexiness kind of sneaks up on you. Before you know it, you are enchanted by the delicate girlishness of the ruffles and velvet. Well... maybe it is just me.

Like I said, I am now inspired to make this my own. This dress is obviously of an era, that even for this vintage wearing gal, would make me feel like I am "in costume". Not to mention it is iconic-ally recognizable that I would be "in costume". I believe I can keep the bodice as is and still wear an authentic 40s' style. However the (hooped) skirt is a bit much. I am considering a skirt at that length, but without the hoop and petticoat. I figure it would make a delightful garden party dress. Much like the barbeque in the movie! But let's face it, even with vintage friends and vintage parties, how many of us actually wear formal wear even to the most lavishly hosted parties? So I am thinking a knee length party gown or summer dress. Not anything against Miss O'Hara, but green really isn't my favourite color, so I think a red velvet version with an inspired floral organza in matching tones may be the way to go for me.

So now I am on the hunt for Hollywood Pattern 1988 to make this dress. I suppose I could attempt to draft my own interpretation, but I do love the bodice so much that I would love to get it accurate. If the barbeque dress is something you too are inspired by, you can purchase your own reproduction fabric for the gown from here. Unfortunately, it is a bit pricey for me for all the needed fabric, but if you want a to make a replica of this dress it is well worth it! You can see here at this fan's page. She has made her own gown and it is just as stunning as the original!




What? Not make the dress?! That makes me mad!



In the end, this will probably just end up in my "To do, but probably never will," idea book.


So for you Scarlett and Gone with the Wind fans, what is your favourite gown or costume from the film? 











As usual, click any picture to enlarge.

Sorry Stuart, but Superman is going to win this fight!

6 comments:

  1. i think i like every single outfit(almost). i love how they're 1800s but with a distict late 30s/40s falir. Thats so neat there was a pattern for it. I think the original print looks a bit like the wallpaper i've seen in my grandparents house... which i dont mind one bit!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't know there was a pattern. It's pretty spot on. I do so love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Smokes! I have that movie memorized! But then I went through a Civil War phase in high school. I have a hoopskirt, if you'd like to give it a go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my GOODNESS you're a girl after my own heart! I just re-watched the movie this weekend and am reaaaaaaally wanting to make a shorter version of the Barbecue Dress for the Kentucky Derby this year!! I've been watching this reproduction pattern on eBay for a while:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380495934281?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    They also have a pattern for the gorgeous red one, if you ever come across some red ostrich feathers and need a dress to put them on. =]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360487098475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    My favorite clothes of hers, though, have to be her gorgeous collection of dressing gowns! I NEEEED them!
    Especially that green velvet one!
    Also, if you look up posts tagged with Vivien Leigh on Tumblr, you will find pictures of all kinds of other gorgeous costumes that she wore during her career! (Anna Karenina, anyone?)
    Have a good day!!
    -Charlotte
    http://abelleofthebluegrass.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit... I have never seen this movie! My childhood BFF was obsessed with it and specifically with Clark Gable! I should hunker down and watch it. I stubbornly refused to watch John Wayne movies until my husband forced me to watch "Donovan's Reef" and "The Quiet Man" and I loved them both. :P I must stretch myself!

    Making a blouse inspired by the BBQ dress sounds like a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this movie, it has one of my favorite movie quotes ever...Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

    ReplyDelete