Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hair Inspiration: Ginger Rogers

*Note: This blog was drafted in two parts... the night before and the day after hense the tenses*


I am fairly confident that this is a style I can pull off successfully. Ginger Rogers's hair in the movie, In Person, seems simple and easy to do, after the initial set. The hairdest part for me will be to set the main wave in front on top. The curls are easy as I have done them a million times before.


Here is how I set my hair. I imagine it isn't going to be as nice and smooth in the morning after sleeping on it, but I am hoping it will help the hair take shape in order for me to pin it in place.











I set the wave by grabbing the top of my hair and easing it down letting it fall naturally into a wave and then using combs to hold the wave I created in place. For an extra howdy do I used a vintage metal wave clip. I am not sure how that one will turn out, but we'll see.










I am hoping that I allowed my hair to dry enough before I set it so that my curls comeout shapely instead of wet. :-/

Here are more photos of Ginny's hair!


It is the next day... I should have let my hair set another day in order to get proper curl, but I was meeting a friend for lunch and needed to style my hair. Wouldn't you know it! There was that ONE lone strand that decided it wasn't going to dry and was stick straight! Dammit. I ended up using the curling iron on it quickly to try to fix it. It did as well as it could in the time I had availible.

You can see when I took my hair out of the curlers and combs that a nice deep wave was created. Unfortunately for me, I only had small combs and could have used a longer one to create a wave that went all across my crown instead of just the one spot. Also, for this style, the metal clip was unnessesary and made pinning the hair back a bit more difficult.

Because of the thickness, weight and texture of my hair, it is all too often that I brush out the wave when trying to smooth it out. I tried extra carefully to on do that, but even still, I was left with a shallow wave instead of a deep one.

So in the end... this is what I came up with. Not perfect, but I suppose well enough for a first attempt.

24 comments:

  1. It still looks lovely, I wish my hair would look like that when I try and style it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it came out great! The wave on top is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously fabulous! I've tried a few ways to get that front wave but without success. I've just scored a new bottle of setting lotion to try, so I might give this a whirl for Easter. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luuuurve you for posting this tutorial!! I saw your post on FL right after I got out of the shower and now I am sitting here with a wave going in my hair that hopefully will turn out as nice as yours. I used a comb and a wave clip I found in my hair goodies that I've never tried.

    Your wave turned out PERFECT and you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I love it! My hair is far too long for the look but you look so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair (and face!) look gorgeous! You definitely not a radio face!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it turned out fantasic. my fringe waves never look that uniform.

    my sets are often quite unruly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just love it. I'm a big admirer of Ginger's hair and you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, it turned out great anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Wish I looked better in vintage styles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, I have been dying to do a wave like this for ages! You are genius, did you discover it yourself? I wonder if that's how they did it in the past....
    Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks amazingly like the original. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey darlin, as a fellow burlesque dancer I love your blog! I get really creative with my costumes but I tend to do the same old thing with my hair (unless someone else does it for me.) So your blog is a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your hair looks so great! Thank you for posting this tutorial! I have been trying to create something like this using pincurls, but it never came out properly. The hair comb is the smart way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been able to figure out how to get that wave at the front! Forever grateful for stumbling upon your blog link in a fedoralounge thread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this really turned out wonderful and I love the color! Living in 1955 this year, I have had many curler nights. I am really considering getting a shorter 50s bob and a permanent wave. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look absolutely darling! That print on that blouse (dress?) is pretty, too. The "face for radio" thing cracks me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look absolutely darling! And the pink blouse (dress?) is pretty, too. The "A Face for Radio" think really cracks me up!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your hair looks amazing, just like Ginger's! I love it.

    ReplyDelete