Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Winter stockings

The air is a bit crisper lately... the winter is definately starting to come into Phoenix. While it isn't a blizzard outside it is still cold enough to want to wear something on my legs. Trouble is I like to wear dresses! Which means stockings. Stockings are great, but it "seams" as though that stockings are no longer made for function, but for fashion. If they aren't the cheapy fake seamed versions, they are the reproduction nylon seamed stockings. Which are fabulous most of the time. But what about for the winter months? The nylon isn't going to keep my legs warm. Why can't I seem to find thicker stockings? I see winter tights or thicker pantyhose, but no stockings! I don't like wearing tights unless they are some zany fashion related expression! So now I am starting to wonder if I can turn the thicker tights into stockings. Obviously by cutting them, but how do I do it without them running? I see an experiment coming on!

9 comments:

  1. There are cotton stockings out there, m'dear.
    In fact (and I'm kicking myself for not buying then), I came across a TON of them while in Memphis at some dirty, dingy store that sold all sorts of strange stuff.
    They only wanted a few bucks per pair, and there were dozens of pairs.
    Why the hell didn't I get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.sockdreams.com has lots of great thick long stockings! I haven't personally ordered from them yet but I've planned to do it for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tayva... I can't seem to find any! Dammit! Why didn't you get those?!

    Johanna... Thank you! I will give that site a good go through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I'm an idiot. I was honestly more concerned about stuffing myself with ribs and greens at that moment! I remember it well... but if you've had ribs and greens at the Blues City Cafe in Memphis... then you'll know the reason for my cock-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found thick thigh-highs at Target of all places and they're wonderful! You can snap em on to a girdle and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous... Really? Oh that makes me happy to hear!! I am going to have to pick me up a pair or two! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sad... I went to Target today to look for them... :( NOTHING! :( :( :( Just knee highs and trouser socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain. I'm personally at a loss to find ANY decent, thicker style, opaque stockings designed for use with a garter belt. I find lots of cheaply made, "ultra sheer" nylon stockings with rubber grips at the top that are clearly meant for people who play dress up on occasion. Not for me. I actually wear mine as daily wear, and I want thick, opaque stockings that won't run the second I look at them, and I do NOT like stay ups. They make my thighs go squish where the elastic hits. They might work on an athlete with 0% body fat, but for us mortals? Nope. As for a good winter stocking? Never even seen one I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long furcoat and italian Trasparenza Sandra Stockings will fix all your problems.

    ReplyDelete