Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Perfect Figure


Earl Carroll, theatre legend describes the ideal girl as...

Height - 5'5"
Weight - 118
Neck - 12"
Bust - 34"
Waist - 24"
Hips - 35.5"
Thigh - 19"
Ankle - 9"
wrist - 6"

Being that I too am a performer of the stage and a vintage lover, I feel that I should strive to acheive these measurements as well. Other than the height -- as I am 5'6" -- I think these are measurements I can acheive. I know I can because not too many years ago, I was 119 with a 24" waist. Besides, 5'6" isn't but an inch different

Now trying to stay away from more personal feelings in this synthetic blog, I will say that I don't need to hear about not having to reach those ideals. It doesn't translate to me as people saying you are beautiful just the way you are. It translates to people wanting to keep me plump for their own selfish needs. On Sex and the City Carrie once said to Miranda, when finding out Miranda didn't like Carrie dating the Russian and moving to Paris with him, "I can't stay in New York and be single for you." This is kind of how I feel about the weight and body issues. I don't know if people want me fat to make themselves feel better, but that is how it translates to me. So moving on...

I have already noticed that cutting pop out of my diet (90% anyway) I have lost 7 lbs and 2 inches. Even though I still have a big noticable pooch, it has shrunk dramatically. I need to firm up the lose skin a bit, but not completely. I like soft not muscular. Now I need to cut out the artificial sweetners I have been having instead of the regular sugars and work on my over all diet.

It is no secret that my idea of the perfect figure was Sherry Britton. As much as I would love to have her frame, it will be impossible. I am 3 inches taller and my boobs are far too tiny. There is no way I could ever have an 18" waist uncorsetted either. But while the numbers might not match Sherry's... I would love for the ratio'ed figure to match. That I believe can happen.



So after having now taken my measurements I can see what I need to work on...

Height - 5'6"
Weight - 145
Neck - 12.5"
Bust - 35.5"
Waist - 28"
Hips - 38"
Thigh - 23.5"
Ankle - 8"
Wrist - 6"

Well... at least my wrist is on mark. I also don't think I am measuring my ankle right, because I have fat cankles and for it to be smaller than the inches he requested... I don't know. I have to be doing it wrong. Not the most recent photo of me, but still probably most accurate. I have a long way to go until I get my perfect Burlesque figure...

8 comments:

  1. I lost about 20lbs in a month once, I did it by eating one meal a day after 3pm. My evening meal was usually a convenience store chicken sandwich, or a corn dog, or a Lean Cuisine & yogurt (whatever junk I wanted at the moment).

    Later, I read that Elizabeth Hurley only ate one meal a day, and that it was actually a real diet--it is the Caveman diet & is supposed to be the way our bodies were trained to eat (hunting & gathering all day & then eating).

    If someone could have all their vitamin, fat, and calorie needs supplied in one meal, I don't see as it matters that it is just one meal. I actually have more enegry when I diet this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Did you limit yourself to any calorie intake or fat/sugar grams intake or anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same body!!

    Let me know what your diet plans are....maybe we could race ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lolita--I ate whatever I wanted, but I didn't eat (or crave) huge meals or anything especially bad (like Big Mac meals). I'm sure I kept my calories under 1200/1500, and my fat grams under 20-25.

    A strict diet is a great appetite killer (for me), so I got to where I had a hard time choosing what I wanted to eat, rather than thinking about food & dying until dinner.

    I'm the sort of person who'll nibble all day long if I get a chance. Breakfast whets my appetite and is my undoing.

    I did cut out sweets (but not diet cola), because I'd read about the South Beach-type diets that say if you cut out sweets you'll stop craving them (this is true, for me, at least).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle... You are pear shaped as well then? I don't know what my diet plans are. Perhaps just to eat as little as possible. I don't mean restrict just moderate. Of course chowing down on this brownie mix probably isn't helping. Oy!

    Anonymous... Thanks for the tips. One thing I did find to help with "cravings" as well is simple excercise. I would want a treat, but didn't have any in the house so I wuold bike to the store. By time I got there, I no longer wanted a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was 165 when my husband left for Iraq, I cut my calories to 1600 a day, eating mostly veggies a fruits, proteins and complex carbs. Every morning I would have eggs, 2 pieces of toast with jam a two pieces if turkey bacon. I would have a small 100 calorie pack of those chocolate cakes when I had a sweet craving. On weekends I wouldnt count calories, I would just eat in moderation but for Saturday night, then I ate what I wanted without guilt (usually chinese take out!). I worked out for 30 mins 5 days a week, within 4 months I was down to 135 pounds but looked a lot thinner because of my muscle. I went down from a 14 pant to a size 8 pant and size 4 dress. Its a healthy way to lose it which also benefits you because your skin and hair will look much better than if you lose it in an unhealthy way.

    Im still at 135 but Ive not worked out in a while and I really need to tone up again.I wouldnt mind losing 10 more pounds...(Im 5'5" so I think 125 would be good)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realize this post is old, but I hope you haven't gone inactive! Anyways, I was measuring myself and didn't know what you meant by bust? Should I measure with my boobs or without them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Either you're born with it or you're not!! Some ladies are just blessed with a great figure and some shapes come as you grow into womanhood. I wish women would focus more on their positive attributes instead of working so hard to look like someone else. It is nice to have an inspiration but love you. The person that God made is beautiful just the way you are.

    ReplyDelete