Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Public Enemy


I finally saw it! The Public Enemy with James Cagney and Jean Harlow. What a snore of a movie! I was bored out of my wits and couldn't wait for it to be over. I thought it was a drag and the story was lifeless. Not even my dear Jean Harlow could save this film for me. I love her, but her acting was pretty bad. Oy!


I think the only thing about this movie that made my eyes light up was this gorgeous coat dress that a gal wears to the speak easy!


I never found Cagney to be a good looking man -- and even still I have a hard time being attracted to him, but recently a friend pointed something out about him that does have me looking at him slightly differntly... with a bit of a tingle if you will. Cagney always looks as though he has a perverted thought about you in his head. His eyes gaze like he is thinking dirty things. In a conquering sort of way, not a desperation sort of way. I like that...


I wish I could have more to say about this flick, but I found it to be too boring for me to even slag off. I found the documentries in the special features to be better than the film itself. I was an interesting idea that the movie was a message movie, but even trying to see it with 1930's eyes, I was still left feeling empty. I am glad, however, that I was able to watch it.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting from a film history point of view but I found it a dull experience, as well. I was more interested in the vintage cartoon reel that came as a special feature on the DVD I've got. ;]
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. C-Dot... Yeah, I don't get it... this is the must see Cagney film. What a snore.. zzzz... I mean it is definitely one of those movies you have to see to help complete your classic movies viewing collection, but I wouldn't expect much from it. And yes, it is very sexy!

    Andi... Oh I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one! Yes, the cartoon extra was much better! LOL

    Tom... Thanks. I only wish I could have said something more fantastic about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cagney is sexy even if he's wearing a cowboy hat and spurs in a western...He's quite charismatic! Funny how Ms. Harlow seemed to have acted a bit better in Hell's Angels than in Public Enemy (both films are one year apart!)...

    ReplyDelete