Saturday, January 25, 2020

Biba Babe


That's our star with the TWA shirt on!
Last night a whole bunch of us went out to our local community theater to support our friend, Blanche DeBris in the role of Mrs. Lovett in The Majestic Repertory Theater's rendition of Sweeney Todd. This version of the musical was set in the 1970's, so I decided to (lazily) dress the part and branch out with a Biba look.


Biba marketing for their makeup is known for the high glam (late 60s) 70s does 20s look. They modernized the 20s with bold eyes and a mix of gloss and softness.



In addition to the musical being set in the 1970s, what inspired me to try this look was the fact that my hair is in a terrible state right now and I can't bleach my roots for another couple of weeks (for a show). The Biba (or Dudu) look often times featured wrapped hair. Sometimes the ends would floof out, other times the hair was completely covered with a scarf or a turban. I opted for this version just to hide all my hair for the evening.


Now, I decided on this look very last minute, so while I was trying to capture the days of disco sadness, I think I ended up a little too Grey Gardens. My shabby mink coat only added to the Little Edie effect. If I had given myself more time and practice, I feel I could have done a better job achieving this look. But for a first try, I'll take it!


When I was younger,  I shunned the 70s for being the worse decade of fashion/beauty ever. I am glad that over the last 15 years or so, I am able to appreciate some of the looks the 70's brought us. This look being one of them.

Congratulations on an exquisite performance, Blanche!!

Outfit
Dress: Vintage 80s - Estate sale
Head Scarf: Vintage - Red Cat LV/Retro Vegas
Mink Coat: Vintage 1950s - gifted

Makeup
Eyes: Tati Beauty & Unknown palette (gifted)
Eyebrows (drawn): Tati Beauty
Lips: Lime Crime
Highlighter: Generic Brand

No comments:

Post a Comment