Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Vintage Playsuit Sew Along 2014


How exciting! My very first sew along! Now that my situation is a happier one, I finally feel like this is a sew along I can join in, participate, and complete!
 
The Girl with the Star-Spangled Heart is hosting the sew along. For the month of May it is all about inspiration and planning. MANY years ago I found a playsuit on etsy or ebay or the like that I fell in love with and knew I wanted to make it. I saved it to my computer, but since then my computer went kaput and the playsuit has since drowned in the deep sea of the internet. The only thing I remember about the novelty patterned playsuit was that it had a Peter Pan collar in matching solid color. I can't remember if it was a button front, button side, or a 2 piece. Which is a shame because I really wanted to make that playsuit! 

About a year or two after I saved that playsuit to my computer I found the strawberry fabric of my dreams and I knew it was meant for it. The fabric features large red strawberries and on a bright blue background. So I bought 4 yards of this fantastic fabric, washed it and folded it and let it sit until I was ready to sew it.

What was I waiting for? Well I was "weighting" for me to lose weight. Ahahahahaha here I am 5-6 years later still waiting for that weight to be lost. When this sew along was announced I instantly remembered my fabric that was so patiently waiting to be sewed up and thought, "Screw it! I'll just take it in when the time comes that I finally kick this out of shape mess I have become."
So I have the fabric and a barely there memory of the playsuit I adored, so what will my actual playsuit finally come out to be? Over the last couple of years I have acquired a small handful of playsuits. but none of them have a Peter Pan collar, so for this sew along I am going to have to switch out the collar with a Peter Pan collar from a blouse of similar design. For this mash up I am using New York 608 and Simplicity 3638, both from the 40s.

 
Being that the collar is a matching solid, I think it will be fun to line the inside of the sleeves with the matching solid so I can have the option to cuff the sleeves as well as make the skirt reversible (if I have enough of the strawberry fabric) with the matching solid. This should help balance out the otherwise lonely solid collar.

One thing I am unsure about is the breast pocket. Should I include it in full solid or in printed base with solid trim, or should I exclude it completely?
I already know that I will have to alter the length of the pattern. I am built like a praying mantis. Long legs and a LONG torso! Only I am not nearly as cite as these little buggers. I usually end up having to add 3 inches the all the waists of my sewing projects.
One thing that is hard for me with my sewing is my lack of a dummy (other than the sewer!) It tends to make fittings and evening hems a bit difficult as I have to move around and hold things in place which alters the correct fit. It's also a bit frustrating to have to put on and take off repeatedly and getting stuck by pins even more so, just to ensure a proper fit! So a muslin is definitely a must with this project!
Needless to say I am super excited to get started on this sew along. I've been wearing my sailor playsuit that I sewed up a few years ago so much people are going to think that is the only thing I have to wear! I am super excited to see what everyone comes up with! Playsuits are such a coveted vintage wardrobe essential I know I will be drooling and filled with envy over the gems that everyone comes up with!
Are you joining in? What will your playsuit for the summer of 2014 be?
vpsa-002

6 comments:

  1. Do you have specific dates? I could add your sew along here if you'd like! http://swoodsonsays.com/sew-a-long-calendar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to double check the dates as this is http://www.star-spangledheart.blogspot.com's sew along. :)

      Delete
  2. First of all, I love your sailor playsuit. Second of all, this one will be darling! I'm doing this sew-along, too, but think sugar feedsacks...oh yeah, you know me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to take it in and re-sew the bias tape. I used old iron on bias and needless to say, it didn't stay. :)

      I can't wait to see what you come up with! I am always jealous of your creations!

      Delete
  3. I wish my sewing skills were up to this standard I am still on the repairing stitching level. I can wait to see the finish product

    Gaby x
    http://theglamdottylife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been sewing for over half of my life and I still consider myself a beginner. I just hope that I don't ruin this playsuit! Are you doing the sew along as well?

      Delete